28.3.06

les demoiselles de rochefort

Caught the Cinematheque Ontario screening of Les Demoiselles de Rochefort this evening. I had asked the boss earlier what he thought of the film and all he could tell me was "If you like French films, then you might like this." I could sense from his tone that he didn't love it.

The house was packed. I had no idea what I was in for. I'd scanned the blurb and caught a few names that I'd recognized (Catherine Deneuve, Jacques Perrin, Gene Kelly, Agnes Varda) and that was enough for me.

What a treat! It starred Deneuve and Françoise Dorléac (sisters in real life), as the Garnier twins, who plan on ditching their hometown of Rochefort for what must be a better life in Paris. The movie was perfect brainless fun packed with eye candy -- a musical about finding love where you least expect it. Silly, colourful, every other dialogue in song and dance -- and so many pretty HATS! Sad story behind this film: her film career cut short at the age of 25, Dorléac died in a car accident shortly after this film was released in 1967. I think I might get the soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home